Friday, October 05, 2007

Boycotting MS Office documents

I've officially started my Microsoft office document format boycott. Why? Because of two things: 1. the unavailability of open documentation of the old document formats (.doc, .ppt, etc) 2. the behavior of Microsoft in the ISO process, in particular in Sweden, but elsewhere too, when voting on OOXML, the new, so-called "open" document formats for MS Office. Being engaged myself in standardization processes, I know how this hurts the standardization community. So, I'm not accepting files in Word or Powerpoint format, and I'm only sending ODF and PDF. What about everybody else? Well, either use an office application that supports the ISO standard for office documents, such as Openoffice.org, or use the following plugin for MS Office: http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/

No comments: